This proposal is part of the 2.03 upgrade process, please comment by replying below.

Standard
Activity

**Schema Object** iati-activity/participating-org/@role

**Type of Change** Addition to Embedded codelist

**Issue** Publishers are responsible for reporting on their ‘own’ activities, but may also act as an official proxy for another organisation or, as a secondary publisher, report on a third party’s activities. In the latter two cases it is not always evident to the user which of the reported participating organisations - funders and/or implementers - actually ‘owns’ the reported activity and provided the information. An additional OrganisationRole code would help clarify this.

**Proposal** * Add code: 5 - Responsible

The organisation responsible for the reported account and transactions of an activity as recorded by a proxy or secondary publisher.

**Standards Day** There was confusion about what is meant by the term 'secondary publisher'. The use of the term 'proxy' was suggested to clarify where publishers report 'officially' on behalf of another organisation. (eg Swedish SIDA and Ministry of Foreign Affairs). Further consultation was requested.

**Links** N/A

Comments (7)

Reid Porter
Reid Porter

May be missing some nuance but here goes…

Adding this to <participating-org> seems more confusing than adding a flag to <reporting-org>. <reporting-org> seems to be the natural home for info about reporting, no? It also better represents the exceptional nature of this type of reporting, and avoids potential confusion with the existing @secondary-reporter flag.

I take your point on the distinction between official proxies vs. secondary publishers reporting on third parties. Let me see if I can spell out the potential combinations with the proposal as is to (hopefully) clarify my confusion:

• @secondary-reporter = TRUE & @role = responsible: ??
  • @secondary-reporter = TRUE & @role = !responsible: true secondary reporting for third party activities, i.e. Aid Data or NGO Aid Map
  • @secondary-reporter = FALSE & @role = responsible: typical situation, org owns and reports on activity
  • @secondary-reporter = FALSE & @role = !responsible: proxy publisher?

Perhaps where I should have started is by channeling John - what’s the user story here? Is there a simpler way to clarify who owns vs. reports what?

Reid Porter
Reid Porter

I sat down with our NGO Aid Map team and realized that my post above doesn’t really make any sense. Here’s a much more straightforward question:

There already exists a code for ‘Accountable.’ What is the difference between the proposed ‘Responsible’ and the existing ‘Accountable’?

It’s doubly confusing because the guidance for ‘Accountable’ uses the term ‘responsible’:

role="2" - Accountable - An organisation responsible for oversight of the activity and its outcomes

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

There’s a proposal to deprecate “Accountable” because of the stratospheric level of confusion around it… The definition you quote isn’t the original one, as Mark Brough reminds us in the other post.

That being said, I remain quite confused about what this “Responsible” role is, and would echo the question above: what’s the user story?

IATI Technical Team
IATI Technical Team

This topic has been rejected as it is now covered by a redefined definition of the “Accountable” code.

If you feel that this should still be included in the current upgrade, please do respond here

IATI Technical Team
IATI Technical Team

There will be some consultation calls in early July for any 2.03 proposals where people would like to discuss them further - if you would like to discuss this proposal on one of the calls please ‘Like’ this IATI tech team post by end of Mon 26 June - you can do this by clicking the heart symbol to the bottom right hand side of this message.

Further details on the calls are available in the ‘How to participate’ topic.

IATI Technical Team
IATI Technical Team

This proposal will be discussed on a consultation call on Org role and sectors - Monday 3 July, 3pm (BST), 1 hour

To join this call, use this link from your computer, tablet or smartphone https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/197437149
You can also dial in using your phone
United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0097
United States: +1 (312) 757-3117
Access Code: 197-437-149

Please 'like' this post if you plan on joining this call (click the heart symbol to the bottom right of this message)

IATI Technical Team
IATI Technical Team

Notes from consultation calls w/c 3rd July

Outcome:
The proposal was reviewed by those on the call and there was no objection from the group about keeping organisation role code “Accountable”, however, a modification of the description was put forward as follows:
“An organisation that can be held accountable for the overall execution of the entire activity. If no accountable organisation is named, it is assumed that the reporting organisation is accountable for the activity.”

Discussion:
There was some discussion to what extent the organisation role code “accountable” is being used by publishers and data visualisation platforms.

Please log in or sign up to comment.