Linked to the proposal in the v2.03 upgrade to set boundary values where the IATI Standard refers to percentages, a pull request has been received by Vincent van 't Westende to restrict values used in percentage attributes to the set boundaries (0 - 100).

This change would apply to the following attributes:

• iati-activities/iati-activity/recipient-country/@percentage
  • iati-activities/iati-activity/recipient-region/@percentage
  • iati-activities/iati-activity/sector/@percentage
  • iati-activities/iati-activity/capital-spend/@percentage
  • iati-activities/iati-activity/country-budget-items/budget-item/@percentage

The IATI Technical Team are considering this to be a bug fix, given that the definition for these attributes typically reads

Content must be a positive decimal number between 0 and 100, with no percentage sign.

Therefore, and unless an objection is received we plan to implement this pull request for version 2.02 of the Activity Standard after a one week notice period (expiring on Sunday 13 August 2017). Where appropriate, this will also be back-ported to prior versions.

Comments (1)

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham

Just to follow up here: I raised the following (temporary) objection to this over on github:

I do love this update… But… I think it might be better to wait on this until the boundary values for percentages proposal is done and dusted.

That proposal acknowledges that the typical definition:

Content must be a positive decimal number between 0 and 100, with no percentage sign.

…suggests zero should be excluded since it isn’t a positive number. And @wendy points out that in at least some contexts, excluding zero might be preferable anyway. So adding this now seems like it might add more confusion, not less.

Please log in or sign up to comment.