Hi everyone

I’ve been taking another look at “traceability” - especially following the excellent presentation of Herman van Loon at the TAG (https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlb4hdoicvdwztb/linking%20iati%20data%20v7.pptx?dl=0 ) -

I have put some slides together: http://slides.com/opendataservices/traceability - which centre on org references, activity identifiers and transaction encoding to link data between different publishers.

In discussion with others - a point was raised about the use of the related-activity element to express links between activity data published by different organisations - especially the use of code 5 (“Third Party”: http://iatistandard.org/201/codelists/RelatedActivityType/).

Im not sure. Checking the dashboard, nobody is using this code atm:

http://dashboard.iatistandard.org/codelist/1/related-activity_@type.html
http://dashboard.iatistandard.org/codelist/2/related-activity_@type.html

Regardless - would others in the community utilise related-activity to do this? One of the drivers to this would be that the only other method to express direct links between activities is within transactions. At the participating-org level this is not possible (I’ve raised this here: http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/82377659-Add-activity-id-attribute-to-participating-org-element)

Comments (44)

Michael Medley
Michael Medley
Image removed. stevieflow:

http://slides.com/opendataservices/traceability

I find this set of slides and Herman van Loon ’s very helpful. What I get from them is

1. using the transactions element is the best way
  2. the transactions element is pretty much sufficient, as set up in 2.01. (I note that it includes a receiver-activity-id attribute which the slides do not seem to mention. Herman van Loon ’s request for an incoming-commitment transaction type could also be useful)
  3. the main problem is getting reporting agencies to use what’s there effectively. Designating a few more elements/attributes as mandatory or highly recommended might help. So might Herman van Loon ’s suggestion of another guideline (whether as document or other training medium).
Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

We’ve been using the related-activity element quite differently than is suggested here - we use it to identify related activities within our own programs (e.g. phase 2 of a project, or elements of a bigger projects). We always assumed the other-identifier element would be where we’d be recording the activity number assigned by our implementing organization, thus enabling traceability. We hope to start testing this approach with UNICEF soon.

In our case there wouldn’t be a need to identify related activities at the transaction level, as transactions will be almost exclusively with our implementing partner. This could well be different for another donor whose definition of “activity” may be quite different from our - clealy a donor’s business model will affect how they need to structure their related-activity data. Which in turn will present interesting challenges when trying to use data from several donors.

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

Coming back to this —> 18 months later!!

In December 2017, SJohns , Tim Davies & Tanaka Nyamadzawo and I held a workshop with several Bond members to start discussion around “IATI & Federated Organisations” (I’ll format the materials and such and post them online).

Anyway, we discussed the use of related-activity, in terms of making connections between activities. I recall Amy Silcock then saying that the IATI Technical Team were specifically advising publishers to NOT use related-activity to link between activities from other publishers. Can we confirm if this is the case?

I think this is in line with MFA guidance ( Pelle Aardema Herman van Loon ?)? If so, can anyone explain the purpose of code 5 (Third Party) on the RelatedActivityType codelist:

A report by another organisation on the same activity you are reporting (excluding activities reported as part of a financial transaction - e.g. provider-activity-id or a co-funded activity, using code 4)

I think leo stolk was interested in this too!

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

If so, can anyone explain the purpose of code 5 (Third Party) on the RelatedActivityType codelist:

A report by another organisation on the same activity you are reporting (excluding activities reported as part of a financial transaction - e.g. provider-activity-id or a co-funded activity, using code 4)

Wouldn’t this be used by secondary publishers who assign their own Activity ID to a project that is already published by someone else? They should be reporting the Activity ID of the original publisher, would they not use this code? This is how we would avoid double-counting, isn’t it?

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham

Andy Lulham (magic man!) - any insight on who is using this code already? The dashboard only seems to report on 1.0x usage?

Yep – 2.0x codelist usage is also on the dashboard.

[If you scroll way down the codelists dashboard page, you get to codelists for 2.0x. I agree this could be clearer! Either via a table of contents at the top of the page, or (at least) by reordering to show 2.0x (i.e. current integer) first, and 1.0x (i.e. legacy integer) second. I’ve just sent a pull request.]

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

Yes you are right Steven. We do NOT use the related activity to show the links between publishers. As Yohanna Loucheur mentioned above, the relation with implementing partners is always through transactions.

The use of the related activity is in our case limited to making the link between the activity level and the programme level within an organization. The reason for this is that a lot of organisations, do not model their internal financial flows as transactions in their financial administration.

Steven Flower
Steven Flower
Image removed. Herman:

The use of the related activity is in our case limited to making the link between the activity level and the programme level within an organization.

Thanks Herman van Loon

In the case of those three examples we found, who look to be under MFA requirements, would they fail your validation for (mis)using the related activity in their data? Interested to know!

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

Yes it will fail validation, but will not stop processing of the data. We have not implemented an automatic validation on this yet.

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

Thanks Andy Lulham ! And yes, combo of user + user interface there

OK - so there’s three organisations that currently use the Third Party related activity type. These are all, it seems, Dutch NGO publishers. It would be helpful if Pelle Aardema , Rolf Kleef & Herman van Loon can share any ideas around whether this is expected

Here’s an example activity from one publisher:

http://d-portal.org/q.html?aid=NL-KVK-34106722-BEN

This declares this activity (from a different publisher) as a Third Party relation:

http://d-portal.org/q.html?aid=NL-KVK-27189542-BEN16

(which in turns links back)

(I added a GitHub issue for d-portal to display the Third Party label when it’s used)

Amy Silcock
Amy Silcock

My advice was (and still is) that Parent/Child/Sibling relationships should only be used internally, and not refer to activities from external organisations.

My understanding of the other two types is:

Co-funded - where two donors fund the same project
Third party - is for instances where two organisations may be engaged in the same or similar activity but there is no funding connection

My other thoughts on co-funded are:
You can tell if there are multiple donors by looking at the recipient’s transaction data. However, this is not the case when looking at the donor’s data.

leo stolk
leo stolk

Hi, Steven Flower Herman van Loon Pelle Aardema , within the DRA alliance, the lead organization in a ‘joint response’ is actually the holder of the parent activity, whilst participating organizations in that ‘joint response’ publish the child projects. As far as I know DRA members do not use the related activity across to point up to an alliance member in the ‘joint response’ lead role (rotating function in the alliance). But I find the use of related activity parent, better than provider org activity ID, as DRA acts as an alliance. That is also often the case within the Oxfam Confederation, where participating affiliate contribute from their parent to executing affiliates implementing.

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

Thanks leo stolk

Whilst I’m not aware of a specific “rule” that governs usage of related-activity , perhaps we have to be pragmatic in terms of what means “external” It seems quite legitimate to use this within the context of a delivery chain / consortium, as evidenced.

I do think this isn’t in the Netherlands MFA guidance - would be interested to hear from Herman van Loon & Pelle Aardema

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

Thanks leo stolk

Herman van Loon Amy Silcock what do we think about use of related-activity codes within a federated situation, such as described by leo stolk ? Is this still “internal”?

(and obvious disclaimer, we are just discussing this openly and transparently – we’re not validating anybody!)

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

Steven Flower leo stolk I would not use the related-activity elements to model flows between organisations. Since within a federation of organisations, you have actual fiancial transactions between the organisation members and these members are separate legal entities with their own IATI identifier. I.m.o. you should use transactions to model these actual money transfers and limit the use of the related activity (types parent-childs) within an organisation.

The programme structure of activities within a federation or alliance, can be modeled with transactions. An example is the Both Ends alliance, where the programme level activity is maintained by Both Ends, and the project type interventions are being maintained by the partners funded by Both Ends.

Pelle Aardema : do you have any additional thoughts on this?

Steven Flower
Steven Flower
Image removed. amys:

My advice was (and still is) that Parent/Child/Sibling relationships should only be used internally, and not refer to activities from external organisations.

Herman van Loon leo stolk Pelle Aardema - I was looking at a full set of “linked activities” via the Yes I Do programme just recently.

Whilst the use of linkages via transactions is clear, there is also use of related-activity (parent) between different organisations in this chain.

Hence, Rutgers declare their activity has a parent of the Plan Nederland activity:

Image removed.

Given we have a set of 29 activities from nine publishers, we could just consider this as a slight blip - esp as other publishers in this “family” do not act this way. However, I’d be interested to hear thoughts about this - especially if it starts to break stuff!

leo stolk
leo stolk

Hi All,
IN my opinion there is a usecase logic within networked organisations like the Oxfam Confederations to use the related activity element to refer upwards to ‘programmes’ that are owned by the network rather than owned by the network members. this the case I refered to at the BOND workshop with Steven Flower and Amy Silcock
In the Oxfam confederations all country and regional strategies, are ‘owned’ by the confederation. These strategies contain the programmes, while they are operationalised through IATI activities published by the network members (the Oxfams).
I hoped to be allowed to publish the country strategy programmes by Oxfam Confederation secretariate as hierachy one activities, and convince all Oxfams to link their project to secretariate programmes, using the related activity element.
For our networked situation this would help to visualise programme coherence in Oxfam activites…

does this make sense?

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

Hi Amy Silcock leo stolk - many thanks

We seem to be getting into quite nuanced and contextual “rules” around usage of these codes, particularly the co-funded and third party ones. Additionally, it seems that if we wanted to try and validate usage of these codes, we would be unable to do this on the activity alone - we’d need access to many other activities, published by other organisations. John Adams Herman van Loon Rory Scott Rolf Kleef does this fit into the ideas around “Link validation” – where we look to validate data, but use the wider IATI corpus to do this?

Image removed. stolk:

I hoped to be allowed to publish the country strategy programmes by Oxfam Confederation secretariate as hierachy one activities, and convince all Oxfams to link their project to secretariate programmes, using the related activity element.

Thanks. Which related-activity code were you thinking of using?

leo stolk
leo stolk

Amy Silcock and Steven Flower If referring to a single set of level one activities across our our confederation is not an option, all affiliates will have to include repetitions of the hierachy one activities in their individual data sets. Such repetion is undesirable isn’t it?

leo stolk
leo stolk

indeed, at this stage, that’s where we are. …

Regions or country level strategic intentions (5 yr) are expressed in sets of three - five programmes (focus choices) each. with tiles, descriptions, etc.
Financial and result intentions are set per country/region per ‘programme’ in annual operating plan,

However actual transactions, income and expenditures are recorded at project level across affiliates that contribute to these programmes.

So programmes ‘belong’ to the collective aka the confederation, the projects belong to and are administrated in, the various confederations affiliates.

Amy Silcock
Amy Silcock

Steven Flower leo stolk I wouldn’t use related-activity parent/child/sibling relationships between members of a federated organisation. The related-activities, help mark internal transfers of money within a single organisation/(primary) publisher. For leo stolk ’s example, as I understand, this is not the case.

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

Just wanted to flag what the standard says on related-activity:

Another separately reported IATI activity that is related to this one.

I think that supports both use-cases. Are we now in the realm of a difference between reference documentation (what is written down for all) and implementation guidance (what is done in context)?

Steven Flower
Steven Flower

HI everyone

I do like that this thread over three years old, 24 posts long, and still not at consensus!

I think we can learn lessons from this around the potential complexity of rulesets and validation of - and this might be a simple case!

The reason for my posting here, is that Herman van Loon leo stolk David Megginson Wendy Rogers Nick Imboden Pelle Aardema and I discussed related-activity during a focus on FTS & IATI last week.

We got to this very same question: should related-activity be used to point / link between activities published by different reporting-orgs?

Having reread this thread, I think our position is:

• most cases suggest that related-activity should be reserved for pointing within a publisher dataset
  • however, there’s a case to suggest otherwise:
    – when a publisher is a part of a federation / network of organisations, and needs to relate to an activity (published by another reporting-org) that provides more context
    – similarly, when a donor is publishing alongside another donor, and needs to signal that their funding is connected

And that, brings the codes for “co-funded” and “third-party” into question.

However, as @herman confirmed, use of related-activity outside of the scope would mean a fail of Netherlands MFA validation rules, although not render the data useless

So… I’m still not sure we have a Best Practice on use of this element. As more publishers create and connect data, it strikes me we need something…

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

– similarly, when a donor is publishing alongside another donor, and needs to signal that their funding is connected

Isn’t this (best) expressed in the data as funding going to the same activity? In other words, by the recipient indicating both donors’ incoming funds to this activity and/or both donors indicating which recipient’s activity their funding goes to?

matmaxgeds
matmaxgeds

I had always interpreted related activity as being for situations where activities were related e.g. in terms of objectives, joint planning etc, but where there were no financial flows that would already have allowed that link to be made, whether it was between different donors, within a donors portfolio etc.

Perhaps more importantly, do we know many publishers who have a publishing process where they lookup the activity codes of either related activities or activities/org codes from other publishers that they are funding? If not, all this is a bit optimistic no?

Michelle Levesque
Michelle Levesque

IOM had a few conversations with a few of our donors while at TAG and off-line. Knowing the donor reference is often known at the time the donor agreements are signed. We don’t currently have a place to store that info such that it can easily be pulled into our IATI data set but we are working on it.

Expecting us to look it up after the fact is ambitious. Particularly when some of our donors don’t publish their donations to us until after we’ve published the projects they have funded. We be playing catch up most of the time.

The challenge we face (may not be an issue for others) is that we don’t know what our project ID will be at the time of signing the agreements. That would require a follow up to communicate that information back to the donor if they want to reference our IDs. That too is ambitious I believe but would be a possible solution for linking two donors to the same project.

It is imperfect but our plan was to use the participating-org/@activity-id or provider-org/@provider-activity-id elements/attributes/?? when we do. Our (perhaps incorrect) understanding of related-activity wasn’t for this purpose. If you “experts” tell me otherwise, we still have time to course correct as we don’t yet publish this info.

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

Maybe I am missing something in the workflow here, but isn’t it always the case that at the moment of signing the contract/agreement, the donor knows their own funding activity-id? In that case the recipient can always point back to the donor’s activity-id (which is mentioned in the contract). So the key point here is to point upward in the funding chain and not downward, since that would require the donor to refer to not (yet) existing activities.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur
Image removed. Michelle_IOM:

The challenge we face (may not be an issue for others) is that we don’t know what our project ID will be at the time of signing the agreements. That would require a follow up to communicate that information back to the donor if they want to reference our IDs. That too is ambitious I believe but would be a possible solution for linking two donors to the same project.

That’s a challenge we identified as well when trying to figure out how to get activity IDs. My very simple suggestion: put your activity ID (and org ID for that matter) on all your communications to the donor, especially reports. Very little cost, no risk, and tremendously useful if the donor ever wants the info.

Michelle Levesque
Michelle Levesque

Herman - you aren’t missing anything. What you suggest is completely possible assuming the recipient system has a place to store that data. My point was only that it would only work in one direction and thus might not help all users depending upon what direction they are coming from along the chain. I would have thought that ideally both donor and recipient would cross-reference one another so the traceability could work in either direction.

Wendy Rogers
Wendy Rogers

As you point out Michelle Levesque it is already possible for donor and recipients to cross reference each other and the IATI Standard does already make provision for that to happen. However, as Herman van Loon has mentioned (and it was also my understanding) I think that the original intention for traceability within IATI was just to trace upwards within the funding chain? As Herman van Loon and @YohannaLoucheur have pointed out a donor or funder can generally provide their own originating IATI activity identifier to the recipient via contract documentation and/ or as part of the contract management business process etc .

Interestingly, some of our most recent work within the Grand Bargain (particularly around issues relating to Localisation) is highlighting that there would indeed be value in being to be able to trace both ‘up’ and ‘down’ the funding chain. Presumably for this it happen, Donors and other funders would need to regularly ‘harvest’ the recipient activity identifiers and add them into their own systems. I think this process could certainly be automated and it would also provide donors with an automatic confirmation or validation that recipients have also now published the receipt of that funding to IATI? As a result I would be very interested to hear any views from donors or others on the practicalities and appetite (or lack of?) for making this happen?

NB as this question is moving away from the original post topic I am happy to move this post to a new topic if required

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham
Image removed. Wendy:

NB as this question is moving away from the original post topic I am happy to move this post to a new topic if required

Wendy Rogers +1 for starting a new thread. The reciprocal links question is v interesting, but it’s sufficiently different to this related-activity discussion.

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

Steven Flower and leo stolk : in the Dutch MFA guidelines we have added the related activity with the purpose of enabling publishers to model the logical activity structure of an alliance, even if there are no transactions (yet).

Bill Anderson
Bill Anderson

Another example that makes the case for ‘standardising the standard’.

If my memory serves me correctly the original Version 1 codelist contained 3 values - parent, child, sibling. A child was defined as a ‘sub-component’ of a parent: the assumption being that they both belonged to the same organisation.

This is not, however, clear in the wording of the standard (in both schema definition and code list).

Steven Flower
Steven Flower
Image removed. bill_anderson:

If my memory serves me correctly the original Version 1 codelist contained 3 values - parent, child, sibling. A child was defined as a ‘sub-component’ of a parent: the assumption being that they both belonged to the same organisation.

There were four codes in version 1.01: http://reference.iatistandard.org/archived/101/codelists/related_activity_type/index.html

The text which includes “sub-component” has always been there. It looks like “reported to IATI” was added along the line, but I can’t see whan (Andy Lulham : would you know?)

If there is any assumption about who publishes, then this isn’t / wasn’t stated.

A fifth code, “Third Party” was added in version 2.01 update: http://reference.iatistandard.org/203/codelists/RelatedActivityType/

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham

The text which includes “sub-component” has always been there. It looks like “reported to IATI” was added along the line, but I can’t see whan (Andy Lulham : would you know?)

It was added in v2.01 in this commit, as part of this issue. It’s mentioned at the bottom of the related proposal:

• A clearer definition has been found for the proposed Related Activity Type

I’ve mentioned it before, but this sort of historical paper trail is really useful for maintaining organisational knowledge. It’s pretty good in this instance, but could be better.

We shouldn’t be in a situation where the only explanation for a change resides in the memory of the previous tech lead!

Please log in or sign up to comment.