The IATI Technical Team is pleased to announce that the IATI Standard Version 2.03 Schema is now available for inspection and testing. The full schema can be found on GitHub

What does this mean?

All additions which were proposed and accepted during the 2.03 upgrade period have been added into the three IATI Schemas: Activities, Organisations and Common, as well as the Codelists and Rulesets. Together these make up the IATI Standard. This has involved editing the xml and testing that from a technical point of view all of the proposals work and, where possible, are consistent with the current IATI Standard.

You can look on github to see how the proposals have been implemented.

Please see the section below for details on how to comment on the v2.03 IATI schema.

When can I start using v2.03?

Version 2.03 of the IATI website will go live by the 19th Feb 2018. This will include guidance on how to implement the new additions as well as a full change log. We will also have updated the IATI Public Validator so that you can check your version 2.03 IATI files. At this point you can publish your version 2.03 file/s.

The different publishing tool and service providers will be working to update their products to version 2.03. Please look out for communications from them about when this will be ready for you to use.

How do I comment on the v2.03 schema?

The changes made across the v2.03 schema can be found in the following branches on github:

1.https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Schemas/tree/version-2.03dev

2.https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Codelists/tree/version-2.03dev

3.https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Codelists-Nonembedded/tree/version-2.03dev

4.https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Rulesets/tree/version-2.03dev

‘*’ Comments are welcome using the above ‘comments’ links where members of the community identify that technical implementation is incorrect (given the final technical proposal)

Improvements to the process used to develop the v2.03 schemas

The development process for the schemas has been enhanced in this upgrade through a thorough TDD (test-driven development) approach, with a schema test runner built using schema validation functionality in pyIATI. Additionally, various elements of the schemas have been reorganised to improve adherence to software development best practices.

Comments (18)

Anonymous

Great. I am unable to find a changelog comparing branches 2.02 and version-2.03dev. We could do it ourselves, but is this supplied anywhere, so we can all look at the same document of changes? Thanks.

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham

tl;dr: +1 to Siem’s comment. What’s the best way for the IATI community to do a final review of these changes?

[~379] the version-2.03 branch is currently a copy of version-2.02 (more or less. It has one commit, but that’s mostly whitespace fixes.) So I think the diff of version-2.03dev with version-2.03 (linked above) is the thing you’re after.

That said, it looks like there’s quite a lot of schema test runner-related stuff in that diff now, which adds a lot of noise… Perhaps It would be easier to exclude that? (e.g. by merging it into version-2.02 as well).

Anonymous

Well, I understand, but could an IATI tech teammember please do that and publish that? This will ensure we are all on the same pages, rather than developers checking the differences in between branches… Pretty sure anyone non technical is now unable to check the difference.

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham

Sorry yeah – I was agreeing with you, Siem.

And when I say “Perhaps It would be easier to exclude [schema test runner-related stuff]”, that was intended to be directed at IATI Technical Team .

Steven Flower
Steven Flower
Image removed. stevieflow:

when would a dev version of the 2.03 IATI standard site be available?

Given that I understand 2.03 will be going live on Monday 19th Feb, then I guess we won’t see this IATI Technical Team ?

IATI Technical Team
IATI Technical Team

This is a valid point [~379] and Andy Lulham . For future upgrade schema releases we would consider adding a changelog.rst file for all of the SSOT repositories (Schemas, Codelists and Rulesets) with pull request numbers to each line, so that it is easier for developers to track the changes.

At the moment you can view the changes from 2.02 to 2.03 in:

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham
Image removed. IATI-techteam:

The diffs for to the schemas themselves (i.e. excluding other changes made regarding test cases and the testrunner) are visible here:

Those diffs don’t exclude other changes, so they struggle to render on old computers (like mine). These are a bit better (and exclude whitespace changes):

[UPDATE: it turns out this is specifically a Chrome/OSX issue. Those big diffs render nicely elsewhere.]

leo stolk
leo stolk

Hi tech team, what are the bottom line criteria in relation to declaring 2.03 as versions in your xml.
Just used the validator on a sample of our publication with a declared version of 2.03 and it was accepted as a sound xml and as a validated xml against 2.03.
Is it than responsible to declare 2.03? Herman van Loon Rolf Kleef are you planning to offer access to your validator?

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

leo stolk Yes we are, but since the current version is an early alpha version yet, granting access will take some time. Rolf Kleef is now working on getting all IATI files preprocessed at a daily basis, so that the API will have a good performace and will be scalable (even when processing larger volumes).

Amy Silcock
Amy Silcock

leo stolk 2.03 is backwards compatible. So a valid 2.x file which says 2.03 at the top will validate.

The IATI Public Validtor is also set up to check against all of the additions included in 2.03.

Please log in or sign up to comment.