I think the advice I was giving focussed on the need to have a way of identifying three things:
- The related contracting process
- The related contract in that process
- The place where structured data on that process can be located
However, I've been looking back over our working paper on this, and the key issue there of modelling different kinds of relationship:
- An aid activity operates through a contracting process
- An aid activity results in one or more contracting processes
- A contracting process leads to a one or more aid activities
I'm not sure that a
related-contract element at the activity and transaction level helps us distinguish these adequately, and we would definitely want to refine the documentation around this to explain to publishers and users what they could interpret/learn from the inclusion of a related-contract link within a IATI publication.
I think it would be really useful for us to try and construct a quick worked example or two of the linkage with real world data just to check this out more. I think it should be possible to find examples from DFID where we could do this.