Getting to a list of organisation references for IATI publishers

(Siem Vaessen) #21

I guess you’re talking about the secretariat either funding, managing, running or endorsing this somehow. Is that right?
[/quote]

@andylolz yes.

(Steven Flower) #22

Please can we take out of this conversation mention of:

• references to any organisation in the IATI corpus
  • a list of activity identifiers

This isn’t what is being talk about. One thing at a time, folks!

The remit of the original focus was to get a list of organisation references for IATI publishers. Whilst that sounds straightforward, we realised it isn’t always so. We then found that the data published via the Organisation standard was the optimal source.

I agree. This is why the methodology above took a look at the org data already provided by publishers. Any solution could continue to focus on this data as a source.

The interface to this is very useful. It’s be great to have a similar interface to many other “codes”! However, I think some organisations would also appreciate the data as a list, or in a format that could be imported into their applications. So this application doesn’t fail anything – it’s just a step on from there being a list!!

It’s probably important to consider this isn’t a list in the same way as other lists we use. It’s not a list of countries, that changes via formal announcements, for example.

This list of IATI publisher references that will a) increase regularly / at no set pattern b) be contributed to by each publisher, via their org file (so no central sanction of the list) c) have the possibility of changing, should a publish change their org reference (which is theoretically possibly – a UN agency may decide to add the XM-DAC prefix, for example.)

Therefore, the important step seems to be:

• agreeing that the route to canonical references for IATI publishers is via the org file
  • inspecting the code we shared, to ensure that provides this
  • running / hosting that code to provide an updated/ongoing version of this list

I’d imagine the service to provide ongoing access the contents of this list would be something consider core to the IATI infrastructure.

I think this can be a community effort, with backing from the Secretariat. We also have an in built metric, in that we can actively track those organisations that do not provide an org file / matching references in their org file. This metric might be something the secretariat could take on.

(Andy Lulham) #23

The API is linked in the footer. You can use that to get a snapshot list of IATI org IDs, in CSV, JSON or atom.

I’ll change the footer links to make this more obvious.

Why does 2.02 include a code list that was not supported since 1.04?
(Herman van Loon) #24

Great API! Will this be ‘officially’ maintained?

(Anna Petruccelli) #27

Hi All

A bit late to this conversation but I just wanted to say that I find @andylolz API super helpful - thanks Andy! I work for a funder and currently in the process of publishing about 200 activities (i.e. grants) - I started looking for organisations’ ids by scrolling up and down the IATI Registry, then discovered this tool (thanks to @stevieflow) and almost halved the time it took me to look up orgs on the Register.

I have also published our org file so the stat is now 407 out of 555 publishers!

Agree this should be maintained centrally as a tool IATI should offer to encourage and support people to publish and agree a list would also be helpful for things like vlookups etc. Tools like this can improve the quality of the data massively!

And I know this is slightly separate to this thread but an activity finder, based on the same concept and maintained centrally, would be amazing - it would be also useful to ensure that aid flows are tracked properly (by enabling publishers to check that they’re using the right activity id)

Why does 2.02 include a code list that was not supported since 1.04?
(Herman van Loon) #28

When using API’s in production applications, its continuity must be guaranteed. @bill_anderson would it therefore be possible to have this API of @andylolz defined as an IATI core service (to be hosted either by the IATI technical team or to be hosted by a third party under the supervision of the IATI technical team)?

(Andy Lulham) #29

The source code is available here:

It’s MIT licensed, so if someone wants to take it, rebrand it, repurpose it… I’m fine with that.