How to link donor activities to implementing partner activities

(Richard) #1

Hi folks. I’ve been looking at various discussions on how to link data between different publishers (e.g. Using related-activity to link data between different publishers) and I just wanted to check that my current understanding is correct. I understand that there is no intention for full accounting level trace-ability but we do want to be able to follow the money.

1. We shouldn’t use related-activities to link donor to implementing org activities. Instead that link is made through transactions

2. Ideally we should provide @provider-activity-id in the incoming transaction to match the donor activity but we might not always know that. It any case we should be matching amounts and dates

3. related-activities and parent/child relationships should really be restricted to within our own organisation.

It’s basic stuff but there appear to be a few different ways to achieve the same aim so I would rather follow the same practices as others

Thanks

Richard

(Yohanna Loucheur) #2

Hi Richard

That seems to make sense.

[quote=“RichPepp, post:1, topic:1448”]
Ideally we should provide @provider-activity-id in the incoming transaction to match the donor activity but we might not always know that. [/quote]

In most cases it should be rather simple to get the @provider-activity-id. If the activity ID/number not in the project documents (e.g. the contract/agreement), I’d suggest to ask the donor to provide it. Over time I would expect all donors to put their activity IDs very clearly on all their project documents - so, being asked for the IDs can help make the case for this good practice.

If the donor is not an IATI publisher, you can use org-id.guide to figure out their organization ID (which will be the first part of their activity ID).

(Mark Brough) #3

Hi @RichPepp – yes, your understanding sounds correct to me!

• On incoming funds, use provider-org/@provider-activity-id (and provider-org/@ref, to state the provider’s organisation ID).
  • Don’t use related-activity to model relationships between organisations.

You might also find @andylolz’ organisation ID finder useful: https://andylolz.github.io/org-id-finder/

Also agree with @YohannaLoucheur that it would be great if all donors would start to put the project’s IATI ID clearly on their project documents.

(Richard) #4

Fantastic, thanks folks. It’s easy enough to parse donor files to find the matching provider-org and provider-activity-id. It will be great once donors start to put this on their documents. For us I think we will just incorporate our existing numbers into our activity IDs along with our org id

Thanks again all

Richard