Discussion

Locating translated codelists

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur • 13 May 2016

We are trying to locate the French versions of some IATI codelists. We found some on Github, but are missing the following:

ConditionType.xml
DocumentCategory.xml
GeographicExactness.xml
GeographicLocationClass.xml
GeographicLocationReach.xml
OtherIdentifierType.xml
RelatedActivityType.xml
TiedStatus.xml (though this last one may be a DAC one?)

Anybody knows where to find them?

Comments (15)

Wendy Rogers
Wendy Rogers

Yohanna Loucheur thanks for flagging this issue which has been on our ‘to do’ list for quite some time but for which we have just not had the capacity or resources to progress as yet. However, if it would help in the short term, we could try to identify some funding from the budget to arrange for the codelists you have highlighted to be translated into French? However, we do recognise that we need to establish a more sustainable mechanism for maintaining codelists in multiple languages in a way that ensure they remain up-to-date whenever they are updated. An IATI Standard upgrade might be a useful point at which to implement such a mechanism but I would be interested to know what you and other members of the IATI community think of this as a proposal?

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Yes, it would be very helpful to have the codelists translated and available quite soon, as they are needed by the team building our new data visualization platform.

I think it would make sense for this to become part of the normal standard upgrade process - just like e.g. documentation and guidance are revised/updated to reflect any changes in the standard. In fact, we had assumed this was already the case, given there was agreement on the need to have codelists available in multiple languages. This is how the WP-STAT proceeds as well; when changes are made to any part of the standard (like, for instance, the recent purpose codes related to country budgets), they are posted in English and French at the same time. The translation is an integral part of the upgrade process.

Wendy Rogers
Wendy Rogers

Thanks Yohanna Loucheur and just to let you know that we have started the process for getting the codelists listed above translated in French ASAP. Also, we will initially only be providing them in .xml format so I hope that is okay? We are however, also looking at making the translation process a more formal part of all of our Standard upgrade procedures and so this will also include investigating how we can provide the codelists in other formats (.csv, json) in a resource effective way.

Wendy Rogers
Wendy Rogers

Yohanna Loucheur We are due to get the translations back at the end of the week so I would hope (depending on competing priorities) that we would be finally able to make the formatted lists available in another week or so.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Hi there

I just signaled a problem with the Related Activity Type codelist translation on Github. Pls let me know when it has been addressed (or at least whether our proposed terms are acceptable) as we will be using the same terminology in our internal systems.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

So I have a partial answer for Cecile LE GUEN (tks Steven Flower !)

1. Not all codelists are available in French (this will hopefully be improved soon).
  2. Those that are can be found on the codelist page, in (some of) the xml files.

For instance, for Conditions Type (http://iatistandard.org/203/codelists/ConditionType/), the French version is in xml under CLv2 and CLv3 (but not under CLv1). It’s not in the CSV files; I don’t know for JSON.

Pls note however that all DAC codelists (e.g. sectors, aid type, flow type etc) are available in French on the DAC website.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Yes, I know they are in the xml (thanks for doing this!)

But for mere humans hoping to use the codelists in day-to-day work (eg download as a table for reference), the DAC (and your clone) is more user friendly.

Andy Lulham
Andy Lulham

Sorry, yes – you’re quite right Yohanna Loucheur ! (Apologies for my unhelpful comments.)

The IATI standard site generator is capable of generating the site in other languages – it’s just missing translations. For the purposes of demonstration, I’ve generated and deployed a French version here:
https://andylolz.github.io/iatistandard-multilingual/fr/203/

So e.g. here’s the codelist for “type de condition”: https://andylolz.github.io/iatistandard-multilingual/fr/203/codelists/ConditionType/

Hope that’s useful! It would be great if francophones would be interested in translating more of the site, and then it could be deployed somewhere official.

Please log in or sign up to comment.