Discussion

Using the Data Theme

John Adams
John Adams • 9 January 2015

There’s no point in publishers putting lots of effort into IATI if no-one uses the data. So how do we make it easy for people to use the data? Are there tools and techniques that make IATI data easier to use by different groups of people? Are there ways the IATI community can help?

Comments (32)

Joshua Powell
Joshua Powell

Hi all. Development Gateway is preparing for some work around the use of IATI in country systems. Our 5 focus countries will be Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Senegal, and Madagascar. You can see a short blog I’ve written here: http://www.developmentgateway.org/news/ensuring-data-work-where-it-counts-iati-and-country-systems

It would be great to have some feedback and to hear who might be interested in coordinating (e.g. peer reviewing some of the analysis we do, providing usability testing on the tool we build, etc.).

John Adams
John Adams

In this context using means doing something useful with the data once it’s been published. How do data consumers use the data - analysis, intelligence, visualisation, mashups etc.

And how do we as data producers help them?

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

From my experience using the IATI data, the key challenge is combining all the different ‘dialects’ being produced by the publishers. Virtually all publishers publish in a slightly different way. This would suggest data quality as a prerequisite for effective usage of IATI data. A separate data quality track could address this issue.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Most of my recent discussions about IATI recently have been along the line of “please show me the data” - which I’m unable to do.

In Dakar, donors saw huge potential in the data to support & facilitate their coordination discussions. They wanted a very user-friendly interface - a browser - they could use to look at the data related to Senegal. Some wanted to map it by region, others wanted to pull specific sectors, etc. It has to be VERY intuitive and user-friendly, for people who don’t know how the data is structured (in fact, don’t even know eg what sector codes are).
Yesterday I was briefing country program staff about IATI, and gain, was unable to prove to them the wealth of data already available. If they want very specific financial information they’ll go into our financial system, no question. But being able to pull quickly a specific project, or all the projects in x sector, or by donors A, B, D and G (but not C, E and F) would make them instant converts to the value of IATI.

I think a huge benefit of making data easy to access would be the immediate increase in quality (dog food and all that).

Anonymous

We have tried to establish a workflow just like you have described on www.openaidsearch.org. You could use keywords (based on title/decscription(s)) or just build a webview based on filters, for example:

Kenya IATI activities: http://www.openaidsearch.org/?countries=KE&order_by=-total_budget (5378 activities)
Kenya & sector elections: http://www.openaidsearch.org/?sectors=15151&countries=KE&order_by=-total_budget (48 activities)
Kenya & sector elections & budget 10K-1M: http://www.openaidsearch.org/?sectors=15151&countries=KE&budgets=10000-100000,100000-1000000&order_by=-total_budget (20 activities).

Obviously there are many scenarios for a wide variety of views possible, which are not supported by openaidsearch by default, but could be made using the API that runs this interface.

Hope this helps out.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Thanks, this is useful reminder of openaidsearch.

I had a quick look to see how I could use it to respond to the requests I had lately. I think it would, but I’m not sure because I wasn’t able to find the donors whose data I’m most familiar with (ours ie DFATD, DFID, UNDP). They simply don’t seem to be in the Reporting Organization list. Not sure what’s going on.

However, it leads me to another topic that affects usability, which is naming conventions for donors/publishers. It’s all over the place and it makes it really hard to find a publisher (which will only get worse as the number of publisher continues to grow). This may also be a useful topic for the TAG.

I also wonder if browsers/apps should be grouping publishers by type (eg Bilateral donors, Multilateral donors, CSO etc). This may make the above issue a bit less problematic, as we wouldn’t have to go over 300+ names to find what we’re looking fore.
Another solution would be to filter by publisher ID rather than name. This would, in effect, group publishers by category given their various ID conventions (e.g. all bilateral will have an ID starting with DAC).

Other things could make openaidsearch more useful (at least for me sitting in a donor HQ). I wonder if it might be of interest to have brainstorming sessions to explore various user cases (for this site, but also the D-Portal and others). In the meantime I’m happy to make notes of our suggestions.

Leigh Mitchell
Leigh Mitchell

One example of a system using a blend of local and IATI data can be seen in Myanmar’s Mohinga AIMS here. The system has a simple, user-friendly interface along with a series of dashboards (sector, donor, location and government partner) that are designed to make data use and understanding as simple as possible.

A recent import of DFID data from the IATI registry went very well and work is currently underway to roll out further imports direct from the IATI registry.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

ForeignAsst_gov
ForeignAsst_gov

On the topic of data use, I think it would be good to talk about the supply versus demand issue. Many organizations are working to address the supply-side needs by opening data and working to provide better quality data, but the demand-side issue remains. Many recipient countries lack the capacity to meaningfully analyze and use available data for informed decision-making. If case studies exist on how this capacity building has been successfully accomplished, and the demand-side issues addressed, it would be a good topic to explore. Many organizations are looking to better understand the demand-side issues, and it would be worthwhile to learn from those who have experience.

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

Both the supply and demand side are worth exploring. Even for IATI experts it is an enormous challenge to build reliable information products when combining IATI data from different sources.

The suggestion of Yohanna is to build really intuitive meaningfull applications which will highlight potential data quality problems and therefore be an incentive to improve data quality. I am not sure this is already possible with the current data quality. In the ideal case the availability, coverage and quality of IATI data should be so good that there are at least no technical obstacles to use data for informed decision making.

I agree that learning from organisations who have experience could highlight the possibilities and at the same time address the critical areas for improvement. That would be an interesting topic for the TAG.

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Yes, I think they MEANT to, but they don’t. I tried using the D-Portal in my demo in Dakar and it did not meet anyone’s needs. Openaidsearch is closer I think - though I’d be able to assess it better if I could see how our data displays.

SJohns
SJohns

Hi Yohanna, would you be able to provide more information about how D-Portal didn’t meet people’s needs at your demo? It’d be really useful feedback.

SJohns
SJohns

Hello, I’ve just submitted a proposal for a workshop on IATI data use to the International Open Data Conference, same week as the TAG. Really happy to partner up if anyone is interested, or has submitted something similar? Also be good to run something similar at the TAG if there’s space. Cheers, Sarah

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Hi Sarah

Without getting into too much details, many issues came up with the D-Portal from a data user’s perspective (in the Explore tab, I have not tested the others).
For instance, people want to:

• not have to scroll down the list to find a publisher (ie need a look up, or filtering by type of publisher, or at least clustering by type to ease the search)
  • select more than one country, for instance to get a regional picture
  • filter by sector (rather than country or donor)
  • combine a search by donor, country and/or sector (ie all donors funding Infrasctrure in Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador)
  • click on a sector and get the definition (in fact, definitions for all fields should be available)
  • disaggregate the sector (ie break down Education between the 4 sub-sector, or even better the 5-digit CRS codes)
  • get the list of donors for a given sector (now we get the list of projects, it would be tedious to add them all up)
  • see the receiver of a transaction (the space is there, but the information doesn’t show up)
  • filter by type of aid, type of recipient etc (eg looking at the projects in Senegal, being able to only pull projects with CSOs, or projects with the government)
  • have the start and end date of projects and implementing partner appear in the table of projects, to help users select relevant projects more easily

I’m sure this is not exhaustive. During my meeting, every person seemed to want to do his/her own thing - and that was within the Senegal page.

I hope this helps get people’s creativity going on how to turn the D-Portal into something better aligned to country needs.

Matt Bartlett
Matt Bartlett

Hi

Thanks for the really helpful feedback on improvements to d-portal - some of these are in the plans already, and we’ll look at the others too. Some are closely related to data quality. It’s great to get some perspective from potential users in partner countries (Yohanna, was it mainly donors or partner country representatives that you were demoing to in Dakar?). As a general point, there’s so much data and so many angles to approach it from that it’s easy to make things look complicated very quickly - so is useful to have feedback from partner country users.

It’s a really interesting discussion - there’s other comments in the thread about the demand side - current developments in d-portal are based around feedback from the MoF in Nepal…there’ll always be personal perspectives on what people want, but it would be great to have wider understanding of what’s needed across partner countries in using these kinds of tools and the IATI data within them.

I think data quality is a big issue in all this - and like everything (including d-portal!) is a work in progress - it would be great to engage with partner countries on these tools, but there’s a limit to what they can do with the current data, even when the tool is doing exactly what they want - I think we need to continue improving the data quality whilst developing the tools (and consulting users!)…but it’s come a long way in the last 4 years so we’ve got reason to be hopeful!

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

Hi Matt

Sorry, I had not seen your reply. I demoed to both partner country officials and donors, my feedback reflects both groups (for instance, the issue of publisher selection and sector selection/def etc came up with all).

I think it’s really important to seek feedback from partner country people (both government and citizens). However, we should not forget donors as potential users - if only as a way to drive data quality up. It’s a lot easier for me to get support to make project officers code a new field, or to correct their data, if they are the ones asking to see the data on a portal.

Jake Garcia
Jake Garcia

At the Foundation Center, we recently built a little app in response to a query on this discussion board a few months ago, namely an IATI to GeoJSON converter. We built one! We haven’t really put it to the test, but it definitely works at small and medium scales for relatively simple cases. This might be handy for folks who want to quickly spin up web maps of IATI data without having to fuss around too much. Let me know if anybody still thinks this would be useful, or if it might be something worth demo’ing.

jake

Matt Bartlett
Matt Bartlett

Hi Yohanna

Thanks for the detail on who you spoke to in Senegal.

A number of recent/current d-portal developments came out of discussions last year with MoF representatives and CSOs in Nepal - including option to view different currencies and change the year start date (to enable alignment with a country’s financial year). There’s been other demos and interaction with a variety of people from partner countries throughout the development, and obviously it’s still a work in progress. We’ll take on board your feedback from the meeting in Senegal too - but I think it’s useful to note that with such a broad and detailed dataset and a large/varied audience that there’s always different perspectives on what people need/want, and so always more you could do!

We’re increasingly getting publishers asking about their data in d-portal and particularly around where there are issues with the data, and are able to point them to where they can amend/improve the data. I’m sure all these kind of tools are useful in making the data more understandable and therefore helping publishers highlight where data needs improving.

Bibhusan Bista
Bibhusan Bista

This is a very interesting discussion happening here. I would like to chip in with some of my observations based on our direct experience in Nepal as well as based on my participation in the recent Regional Development Data usage workshop in Accra. Please find below some of my points.

• When we talk about using the data, we need to understand that data usage scenario will be inherently different for different stakeholders - donors, country governments, CSOs, media etc and create use case scenario first. Some of my initial observations on this are:
  • Country governments are interested to use IATI data for comparative analysis ie. to see if the IATI data they have for particular donors/publishers matches with what they have in AIMS or not.
  • CSOs within countries seem more interested to see how resources are being planned and channelled for specific sectors and their outcome.
  • Local media/journalists are interested in the traceability aspect. ie. they want to create data stories by linking different different IATI identifiers and do an analysis on how resources are being spent.
  • While tools like d-portal have come up with great promise to facilitate data usage, we perhaps need to pay a little more attention to the end users and have respective customisation. This is where national level d-portals come into picture. However, the million dollar question on this is whose responsibility would it be to customize and maintain d-portal at the national level

• Education and awareness around IATI is key for data usage. We often find the case that IATI is pretty much unheard of outside Aid Coordination units within respective Ministries in partner countries. At times, even people within the coordination units (except for a single focal person) are unaware of IATI. Similarly at the donor’s end, most of their country offices have no clue of what IATI is. The situation is even worst at the end of CSOs, Media and other stakeholders. We perhaps need to have a clear strategy on doing outreach to these respective stakeholders so as to ensure uptake of IATI data

• If we can facilitate IATI to have more publishers (not only donors at the top) publishing and linking different activities together, we can expect IATI to fill the gap of traceability. This is something that will create more demand and usage of IATI data for sure. I know that it is easier said than done. However, we could possibly do some pilot traceability cases and build cases so that the interest on IATI is there at least.

• We need to link with local tech and open data communities. Somehow, open data stakeholders at the country level are not aware of IATI. They could be real agents for data usage. Eg. organizing IATI hackathon at the country level could really see intersting tools and visualizations coming along. Moreover, these will be an opportunity for us to educate people and make them use data

• Last but not the least, demand and usage should be facilitated to a certain extent. We cannot simply expect data to be used organically and focus only on the supply side. Perhaps, this is something that partner countries and donors need to jointly embrace as part of IATI country pilots.

Claudia Schwegmann
Claudia Schwegmann

Sorry for getting into this discussion very late. I very much agree with Yohanna, that there is a need for a tool to better use IATI data. And I agree with Bihbusan that the needs for endusers need to be taken into account. Even in my own work I have often tried to find specific information form IATI data and D-portal could not help me because of the lack of filters. OpenAidsearch.org is much more helpful in this respect, though I would like to export the data and also have a functions that allows me e.g. what the overall budget of all my selected projects is - in my experience this is a crucial question that is often asked by “Northern” advocacy organisations wanting to monitor the commitments of their governments in the field of e.g. food security following G7 commitments.
Another point by Bibhusan I want to take up is awareness, that IATI and IATI tools exist. The preliminary findings from the USAID study that I presented at the IATI steering committee is very clear on this point: In the 3 countries visited there was a need for aid information, but hardly anybody was aware of the existence of IATI, let alone the existence of d-portal, openaidsearch.org or specific donor portals.

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

With all due respect, I do not really think we are dealing with a tooling problem. The root problem is, based on my experience with visualizing and connecting IATI datasets, data quality, timeliness and coverage. Tooling can really help to make these kind of problems visible but we are far from using the IATI data for real decision making. So I wholeheartedly agree with Michael Medley that " We take a realistic view of the limitations of the data for purposes of techno-governance."

We should take into account that we are dealing with a complex network of interrelating actors and that there is no best practice yet how to use IATI to make these relations visible, so that we can act upon the information we can produce with this data. The IATI standard has the potential to fulfill the role for improved decision making because it encompasses all actors in the field. But the existance of standard in itself is not enough.So I would urge to focus our attention to the data quality, timeliness and coverage issues. If the data quality is ok, tooling will follow because tooling is relatively simple when your data is ok.

And, again agreeing with Michael, the current lack of data quality is not an technical accident. It has in my opinion also to do with how we look to the transparency agenda. Do we want to be transparent as a goal in itself, or do we want to use transparency as a means to make better decisions? This is really a political and not a technical/instrumental question.

danmihaila
danmihaila

I think this is a great example for using IATI Data. Did you do any validation of the data or tried it in some reports?
Also, how are you dealing with updates of the data?

SJohns
SJohns

Hi all, we (Bond) would be interested in running a session at the TAG looking at this issue.We currently support NGOs to share information using IATI, and we have just started a new phase of work that has two aims - to increase the quality, consistency, frequency and amount of data shared by working directly with the largest NGOs on their internal processes and systems, and to research and model uses of the IATI data within the NGO community. NGOs are an essential part of the ‘aid value chain’ in that they reach directly into communities and also in many cases support communities to engage in advocacy on local and national government transparency. It would be great to bring together all those looking at the same issues so that we can collaborate and share knowledge, issues and ideas. What do you think?

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

That would be very worthwhile. For some time now, we are investigating the possibility to use IATI as an instrument for monitoring and reporting of the development activities we finance. The correct application of the IATI standard could
provide huge benefits in terms more insight, better decision making and reduction of the administrative work load. From the IATI technical point of view, the issue we struggle with is how to ‘close the links’ in the aid chain. From a pilot we did with Cordaid, it became clear that this is (in principle) feasible, but that there are challenges which need to be addressed in a consistent manner to make IATI data usable for all stakeholders. In my opinion these challenges exist for all connections in the aid network. I would be glad to contribute to this discussion in the TAG meeting.

Jamie
Jamie

I would echo the sentiments above, I think there has been good progress made. A tool that weaves together all the IATI data to make the information and insights more discoverable is important, despite the present data gaps. I think D-Portal and Open Aid Search are great steps in this direction which can continue to be refined. I particularly agreed with Yohanna’s suggestions for future improvements needed and Bibhsan’s point that stakeholders will be looking to derive different insights. Greater discoverability will fuel a feedback loop to spur greater data quality.

Michael Medley
Michael Medley

An important use of the data is to expose the still appalling sparseness of the data, and the poor quality of much of what has been submitted. Saying this could be taken as a kick in the teeth of the hundreds of people who have worked hard on marshalling and improving the data, but it shouldn’t be. Technical facilitation can only do its honourable best in the absence of strong political will to produce good-quality data.

There are strong structural reasons why so many governments and aid agencies have not produced data in respectable quantity, quality and format. Aid projects are difficult; they produce actions and results which have many potentially controversial and embarrassing aspects. As an aidworker I often habitually glossed things over in my reports; this was the natural thing to do. However, the quality and contents of results-reporting is near the thick end of the wedge. The participation, if any, of most donors and other aid-agencies is still nearer the thin end, merely disclosing things like dates and financial numbers. One can understand why they are nervous about letting the wedge go in much further.

This is not a counsel of despair. Politically, a lot has been achieved in Accra, Busan and elsewhere, and more political will can be created. What I am arguing is to avoid needlessly de-politicizing the challenge.

One important form of de-politicization is serving the illusion that current and upcoming information systems are producing a consistent registry and map of what aid is doing. At best they are likely to hold a trove of nuggets, and afford a means of exposing transparency deficits. At worst, they make people think that transparency and efficient governance are (almost) in place: that the matter is being taken care of. I suspect that Mohinga (see Leigh_Mitchell’s post, above) is a case in point. Yes, the clarity and smooth functioning of the interface and dashboards are impressive. But that’s part of the problem. For all its ease, how many people go beyond that, and login, and get past the interesting charts (based on aggregations of incomplete and questionable numbers), and find the list of projects, and go down clicking the projects and then the ‘results’ tabs? If you do, you’ll not find many precise accounts of activities or results, even pertaining to projects well past their ‘end’ date. And I don’t thing that’s just because it’s work in progress. I think you’ve reached an invisible wall.

So what do we do as data-technicians? We take a realistic view of the limitations of the data for purposes of techno-governance. We caution against projects based on this premise. We don’t persist in acting as if the data is smooth, but improve our maps of where it is good, bad and non-existent. (The recently increased IATI focus on data-quality is a good move in this direction, but we need to go much further.) We should see ourselves more often as making maps of the data for guerrilla fighters (including many practising aidworkers and government workers as well as pro-democracy activists) rather than as using the inadequate data in a vain attempt to map something real for the state-planning bureaucrats.

I’ve started trying to help the guerrillas through AidOpener.org, and am grateful for the friendly and effective assistance given by the IATI Support team.

SJohns
SJohns

Hi Michael, thank you for sharing AidOpener.org - I’ve been having a play with it, and it’s a good way of seeing the data. I think it helps also that I have an understanding of what type of data is in the different elements. Just wondered - is there a way of extending the row width so that you can see the narrative within the project description? And also seeing what currency a transaction is being reported in?

Michael Medley
Michael Medley

Hi SJohns. Many thanks for experimenting with the Tabulator at AidOpener.org and reporting your experience.

I could make the ‘description’ column wider. But given the great variation in the length of descriptions, that could result in inefficient use of space in the table. Did you notice that if you hover the cursor over that cell, the full description comes up in a little box overlay? Does that help you?

On the currency, it should appear in the transactionspent and transactioncommitted columns, which are columns deduced from the original data. When the columns of original data do not include a currency column, it is usually because the currency is the same in all cases. If a column has exactly the same entry all the way down, the program does not show it in the table, but you will be able to see the currency if you click one of the ‘+’ buttons in the control panel. Perhaps this is not the clearest way of doing it.

I’ll think about how to make both these features/behaviours clearer. You’ll notice there are a lot of other bugs too. But it is encouraging to hear that you found this a good way of seeing the data, and I’ll try to improve it.

I’m not sure if this IATI forum is an appropriate place to discuss AidOpener as such. Feel free to continue the conversation by emailing me at mrmedley@gmail.com.

Michael

Yohanna  Loucheur
Yohanna Loucheur

From the perspective of a donor/publisher, I believe we’ve gone as far as we can on the inside/stick side to improve data quality. Unless our project officers SEE the data they’re putting out, see that field x or y is missing or erroneous or out-of-date, no amount of poking or cajoling will make them fix it. On the other hand, as soon as they see the data, they want to start using it themselves and have a vested interest in its quality. That’s the carrot.

If tools are so simple to do, why not give it a try? I’m convinced it would go a long way in improving the data from those already publishing, and help convince others to start publishing.

Herman van Loon
Herman van Loon

There are quite a lot of websites and IATI visualisations already out in the field. Almost all of them focus on the efforts of a single publisher. Almost a year ago we did a visualisation ouselves together with Cordaid:

IATI visualisation Cordaid

Our experience was that as long as we limited ourselves to visualizing the data of one publisher, everything is quite straightforward. The data mongering could be done within a few days. Making the visualisation itself can be done in a day. The problems arise when you want to combine the data of multiple publishers. The amount of data mongering explodes and every new addition of a publisher leads to new problems. Each publisher uses IATI in a different way. For almost all publishers it is not possible to link data with others because of the lack of good activity and organisation references! So when it boils down to getting insight in the network, we still have an enormous challenge. In my opinion just making more visualisations or having more tooling, will be insufficient to accomplish this.

Shouldn’t we move as a community from just being transparent about your own activities, to being transparent as a network? Shouldn’t we use IATI data to support better decision making about how to achieve development goals? The key question is: how we want IATI to evolve? Are we content with the current status quo or not? What gets measured gets done, so how should our transparency efforts be measured? When is IATI succesfull? If we do it right, chances are that IATI will be known and valued by all stakeholders because you can get insights which would not be attainable in any other way. IATI will ‘sell’ itself.

I don not have the answers on all these questions, but I think they are worth considering.

Michael Medley
Michael Medley

Herman, your observation that each publisher uses IATI in a different way seems true and important. But that does not necessarily mean the most urgent challenge is to align the ways in which publishers fit their information into the IATI standard. I think you are stepping over the most fundamental challenge. We can’t yet “move as a community from just being transparent about your own activities, to being transparent as a network” because we haven’t reached the starting-point of that proposition. Most agencies are still not providing enough interesting information about their own activities.

I think there is a lot of truth in the dictum that ‘what gets measured gets done’, and do agree that the measurement of our transparency efforts is a key challenge. It seems to me that most of the indicators used at present are too broad and superficial. In my view there should be much more focus on the reporting of results (planned and actual), and the coverage/quality of document-links.

An ultimate aim may be to enable new insights in high-level decision-making. But I don’t think we can solve that before first cracking the problem of achieving a higher minimum level of transparency among aid agencies.

Please log in or sign up to comment.