Currently the standard doesn’t mention the option to add a vocabulary attribute to the RESULT element.
The use of the Result element is relatively new and subject of collective learning. One of our leanings is that a publisher often administrates multiple result frameworks simultaneously. Each framework having different codes and structure.
Combining results and indicators without clarifying the respective vocabulary will create a an undesired degree of chaos.

so the proposal is to allow the attribute vocabulary in Result element

Comments (7)

Hayden Field
Hayden Field

As clarification, is the following a correct interpretation of this proposal?

• At the moment, code 9 on the ResultType Codelist (Other) allows you to specify that the type is something other than Output, Outcome and Impact, but not what it is.
  • The core of the proposal is to add vocabulary and vocabulary-uri attributes to the result element to allow specification of what Other is referring to.
  • The current ResultType Codelist would become the default vocabulary.
  • Code 9 would be removed from the ResultType Codelist.
leo stolk
leo stolk

Hi Hayden

My proposal is not well understood i guess.

My proposal is not meant to facilitate to declare more ResultTypes other than the standard codelist.
The core of the proposal is to add vocabulary and vocabulary-uri attributes to the result element to allow result specification against different result frameworks.

So multiple declared vocabularies would each serve a different and specific logic framework accountability
Example of possible combination of result vocabularies for one activity :

• Corporate result framework (how an activity contributes to the reporting org/publishers corporate result logic - for instance annual plan of Oxfam Novib).
  • Donor or Alliance corporate result framework, (how an activity contributes to a wider alliance corporate result logic - for instance 5 yr strategic plan of Oxfam International)
  • Project/Grant logic result framework (how an activity contributes to a projects logic result framework for instance logic framwork of 16 month Humanitarian WATSAN response in Nigeria)

Each of these frameworks contain their own logic, their own references, units etc. By specifying the vocabularies as attribute to Result element it would be clear to which framework the result relates.

Is this clearer now?

Hayden Field
Hayden Field

Yep, that better clarifies what this proposal aims to achieve.

In terms of implementation, the vocabulary and vocabulary-uri attributes are used to specify the vocabulary that a third attribute refers to. For example, under sector they define the vocabulary used for the code attribute. As such, they may not be the optimal manner to implement this idea, with alternative attribute names or locations being preferable.

I’m not by any means an expert on results, so can’t comment in a huge amount of detail on frameworks and whatnot, though others who have been involved in other Results Discussions should be able to assist on that front.

The 2.03 Standard upgrade process is scheduled to begin on Friday 12th May. From this point, proposals may be put forward in a standardised format for inclusion in the upgrade process (more details to be provided soon).

leo stolk
leo stolk

Hi Hayden

Sorry to insist a bot, but the multiple result frameworks each will have code attribution that differs. A specific result framework can be seen as a specific code attribute. To be able to distinguish between the codes, declaring the vocabulary may be very useful.

leo

Hayden Field
Hayden Field

I’ve a feeling that some of the confusion here is that I don’t understand result reporting and result frameworks as well as I could. I’ll tag a couple of other people who should hopefully understand the subject matter to a deeper level than myself (or know someone else who does), and so be better placed to respond.

SJohns Mike Smith

leo stolk
leo stolk

Indeed, Bill Anderson
Would like to be able to distinguish different collections (frameworks) of results. An Activity can contribute simultaneously to:

• project framework with impact/outcome/outputs coded indicators
  • donor org corporate framework higher level outcomes, with coded indicators
  • reporting org own corporate framework, with impact/outcome/outputs coded indicators
    without referring to the frameworks, I fear result element chaos…

Please log in or sign up to comment.